Do you know that the number of self-published books has increased by 264% in the last five years? This field continues to develop actively, and you can contribute much as an indie author.
Thus, get ready for a new productive year with us. We want to share 9 self-publishing trends in 2023 so you know where to move. Let’s find them out.
1. Multi-format books
Today, many people prefer to read ebooks, which are always at hand and do not require additional space in the apartment. The market predicts the growth of readers in the ebook segment to 1,123 million users by 2027.
Statistics also show that 10% of the US population listens to audiobooks. This format allows them to multitask and enjoy a fascinating novel or biography anywhere.
What does this all mean for indie authors? It would be best if you published your stories in multiple formats, including paper, electronic and audio versions. This way, you will reach the maximum audience.
2. Non-fiction books are becoming popular
There is good news for non-fiction writers. This genre outsells fiction by a margin of nearly 3-to-2. Religious books and inspirational stories are top-rated in this segment. Also, 50% of all published books are related to education and science.
Here are a few more genres that non-fiction readers enjoy:
- Memoir & Autobiography
- Art & Photography
- Self-Help and Personal Development
- Health & Fitness
- Crafts, Hobbies & Home.
So, if you haven’t decided what you’ll be writing in 2023, consider a non-fiction book.
3. Romance, crime, and mystery make the most money
We also have good news for fiction authors. Gary Smailes shared a breakdown of the top-grossing genres on Amazon, including:
- Romance and erotica ($1.44 billion)
- Crime and mystery ($728.2 million)
- Religious and inspirational ($720 million)
- Science fiction and fantasy ($590.2 million)
- Horror ($79.6 million).
Writing in these genres can make you a highly-paid writer in 2023.
4. Personal brand matters
In 2023, you should pay attention to developing your personal brand. For a writer, this means being recognizable, having a positive reputation, and encouraging people to buy your books just because they like your personality.
To understand how to develop your personal brand as a writer, first, answer the following questions:
- What genre do you write in?
- Who is your target audience?
- What distinguishes you from other authors?
Create your author portrait, considering how you want your readers to see you. Pay attention to this description when managing your social media, giving interviews, or writing blog posts.
5. TikTok sells books
One of the reasons for the popularity of this platform is today’s busy world, where people don’t have much time to enjoy long videos. Instead, TikTok offers short clips that give a dose of dopamine.
This platform can be a powerful marketing tool for you. After all, the #booktok community has 93.9B views and counting. Therefore, this is an excellent opportunity to reach a large audience of readers and find potential buyers for your book. In addition, a TikTok profile is one of the ways to develop your personal brand.
Many indie authors use TikTok as an additional tool to promote their books. You can read about how to promote your book on TikTok.
6. Podcasting opens new possibilities
45% of Americans listen to spoken-word audio daily, and 22% prefer podcasts. Such figures make this format an excellent tool to reach your audience and potential readers while they are doing other things.
You can host a podcast using YouTube or, for example, Anchor. Collaboration with other authors or book bloggers is also a good idea. If you don’t have time or desire to make a regular podcast, you can make audio versions of your blog posts so that fans can listen to them anytime.
What to talk about in the podcast? Here are some ideas:
- Secrets of writing
- Books by authors who influence your creativity
- Personal stories about the events that made you who you are
- Interviews with other writers.
7. Email marketing remains a powerful tool for authors
According to Statista, the global email marketing market was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020 and is projected to increase to $17.9 billion by 2027. It proves this tool is powerful and effective.
Moreover, Jeff Goins believes that every writer needs an email list, and there is a few reasons for it:
- Email is more personal, allowing for a more friendly and trusting relationship than social media.
- Email is an asset because you don’t need an intermediary to deliver your message directly to your readers.
- With email privacy, you can be more open with your readers.
Thus, email marketing positively affects sales and personal brand development.
8. 3D modeling and AI-generated book covers
Indeed, we could not pass by book cover design trends. 3D modeling grabs attention, which allows artists to create realistic characters and settings for complete immersion in the fictional world invented by you.
Also, remember AI-generated images, which began to flood the network thanks to Midjourney with public access. Despite copyright ambiguity, self-published authors are experimenting and using AI-generated art for book covers and illustrations.
You can find more book cover design trends in our article.
9. Return to offline events
Although the coronavirus pandemic continues to respond, restrictions are becoming less. In particular, offline public events have become possible again. Book presentations, literary conferences, and lectures have been held online for the past two years. Therefore, now readers and authors crave live communication with each other.
Therefore, if you plan to publish a book in 2023, arrange an offline presentation in a cozy bookstore or a themed place.
We hope we have helped you find a guide for your self-publishing career in 2023. Let’s recap all the trends here:
- Modern people enjoy books in various formats, so simultaneously releasing paperbacks, ebooks, and audiobooks is an excellent idea.
- Non-fiction books are becoming popular, especially inspirational and educational ones.
- Romance, crime, and mystery are the most profitable fiction genres.
- You should develop your personal author’s brand in 2023.
- TikTok is an excellent platform for selling more books.
- Podcast provides an opportunity to cover a larger audience.
- Email marketing remains a powerful tool for authors.
- 3D modeling and AI-generated images will play a significant role in book cover design.
- It’s time to return to offline events.
And which of these trends do you like the most? Share with us in the comments.